- “Tales of Arise” recently launched on all platforms
- PC players have reported controller compatibility issues with the Steam version
- The developers have already offered a solution to the controller issue
Bandai’s “Tales of Arise” has finally been released on all platforms, but many PC users have complained about the game’s apparent lack of controller support through Steam. “Tales of Arise” has some weird interactions with how Steam handles input selection and, luckily, there is a way to fix this.
The game’s settings appear to conflict with Steam, as users in Reddit have found. The developers themselves have provided instructions on how to get controllers to work with “Tales of Arise.” To fix this compatibility issue, follow these steps:
- Go to the Steam library
- Right-click on “Tales of Arise” and go to Properties
- Go to the Betas tab
- In the drop-down box, select “None”
- Go to the Controllers tab
- In the drop-down box, select “Enable Steam Input”
- Launch the game
- For players who have started the game before, go to the game’s Settings menu and navigate to the Controller menu. Select Steam Controller Settings then from there, select Browse Configs then select the Official Configuration option.
- Players who have not started the game before can do this step right before beginning the main story.
Oddly enough, some players have reported no issues with their controllers on either laptop or desktop computers. Those who have encountered the problem can try following the aforementioned steps to make their controllers work with the game. If the steps fail to fix the issue, try running the game on Steam’s Big Picture mode, which is optimized for playing games on PC with a controller.
Modified .dll files are currently being shared by users in different communities as an unofficial fix for the controller compatibility issue. Players are advised to approach this method with caution as the modified file may harm their computers or introduce malicious software into their systems.
“Tales of Arise” has received very positive reviews on Steam thanks to its solid gameplay, good story and interesting cast of characters. Meanwhile, the majority of its negative reviews came from users who have been having trouble with controller compatibility.
It’s unknown whether the developers will issue a patch to automatically enable controller compatibility without having to perform this workaround for PC players.